the festivities with grateful hearts.
Thanksgiving helps remind us of all the ways in which we are fortunate, and of all that we take for granted. It is a yearly reminder to celebrate the abundance in our lives. However, once you start looking at the world through the lens of gratitude, you’ll see that every day can be an occasion to give thanks. And expressing appreciation can improve your health, your outlook, your relationships, your job performance, and even help you sleep better at night.
There are numerous ways to bring the “thanks” back to Thanksgiving at your holiday table. Try going around the table and having each person say what they are thankful for. You can start a new tradition by distributing cards and asking guests to write three things they are grateful for. These can be collected and read aloud the following year.
You can also recite quotes to enhance your Grateful Table. Here are a few we like:
- “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” Epictetus
- “If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, ‘thank you’, that would suffice.” Eckhart Tolle
- “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” Thornton Wilder
- “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” G.K. Chesterton
- “Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” Ralph Marston
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.” John F. Kennedy
- “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” Frank A. Clark
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” Willie Nelson
- “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” Oprah Winfrey
- “It is not happy people who are thankful. It is thankful people who are happy.” Unknown
Do you have a special Thanksgiving ritual that has become a tradition in your household?